Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I report a crime?

To report a crime within the city limits of Atlanta, dial 911. Using our E911 system ensures your call for assistance is logged properly and an Officer is dispatched to you in a timely manner.

Where do I pick up a police report?

All reports produced by the Atlanta Police Department can be picked up at Central Records between the hours of 8:30am and 2:30pm. Central Records is located at:

Atlanta Public Safety Annex

3493 Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy, N.W.

Atlanta, Ga. 30331.

If you have any questions about picking up a report, you can call Central Records at (404) 546-7461.

You may also purchase accident reports online at

How can I help prevent crime?

While it is the job of all Atlanta Police personnel to achieve crime prevention goals, members of the Community Services Unit lead department organized crime prevention programs within neighborhood and business communities. Crime Prevention Inspectors in each zone serve as liaisons between the police department and the community to prevent crime and facilitate the delivery of police services with the goal of increasing safety within the City of Atlanta.

How do I report drug activity?

You may report drug activity by calling Crime Stoppers Atlanta at 404-577-TIPS (8477). If it is an emergency please call 911.

How do I find out if someone is in jail?

To find out if someone has been arrested by the Atlanta Police Department and is still in jail, you must contact the jail.

  • City of Atlanta Pretrial Detention - 404-865-8000
  • Fulton County Jail - 404-613-2000
  • Dekalb County (Arrests on the eastside of Atlanta out side Fulton) - 404-298-8224
  • Clayton County Jail (Arrests at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport Only) - 678-479-5300/5398

How do I obtain a background check or Fingerprinting?

To obtain a background check or fingerprinting call or visit our ID Unit between the hours of 9a and 4pm, Tuesday through Thursday (Effective January 7th, 2013).

Atlanta Police Department ID Unit
(404) 546-4491
3493 Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy
Atlanta, Ga. 30331

How do I report an accident after I have left the scene?
Download the following form

How do I recover my property turned into the police department?

Download the Property Control Informational Brochure

 How do I register my alarm system?

Residents can register their alarm system for free online at or by calling 1-855-725-7102.


Content Editor